Is Forex Trading a Zero-Sum Game ?

By | August 16, 2014

For those of you who don’t know, a zero-sum game is defined as a situation in which one person’s gain is equivalent to another person’s loss. Just to give you an example, if trader A wins $5k on a long Eur/Usd position, the zero-sum theory holds that the money came from one or several traders who lost that amount having a short Eur/Usd position.

Approaching forex trading from a zero-sum game perspective might change one’s focus from the market towards the other traders. If, for instance, trader A is long the dollar, all the traders who are short become his enemies, people who are out there to take his money away from him. So what does he do to protect himself ? He finds other  traders who are also long the dollar and searches the internet for news and analyses which reinforce his belief that he is in the right trade. Instead of trading being just between himself and the market (which is impersonal), he transforms it in a fight between himself and his group against the rest of traders.

Is that the correct way of looking at trading ? Is it a fight between longs and shorts ? No and no.

I don’t believe that trading forex is a zero-sum game. Forex is a market with an average daily volume of more than $4 trillion dollars. It has a wide variety of participants that we can divide in two categories. The commercials, from the British  holiday-maker who needs to buy Euros for his visit in Paris to big firms like Amazon or Google who buy dollars when they repatriate overseas profits. The non-commercials, from the beginner trader who tries his hand with a $500 account to the big banks and hedge-funds who deal in billions.

Now that we have the big picture, I hope it becomes obvious that it’s not necessary at all for someone to lose in order for trader A to win his $5k on Eur/Usd.

20 thoughts on “Is Forex Trading a Zero-Sum Game ?

1. Like

Like!! I blog quite often and I genuinely thank you for your information. The article has truly peaked my interest.

2. Ismael Olrich

There are those who engage in this type of trading without sufficient knowledge; however, there are day traders who make a successful living despite, or perhaps because of, the risks.

3. forex trading

If you hold onto any positions after the New York Session, it is no longer called day trading because it’s now called swing trading.

4. Phillis Letteney

Valuable info. Lucky me I discovered your web site unintentionally, and I’m stunned why this twist of fate didn’t happened earlier! I bookmarked it.

5. Hai Faulkner

There are actually loads of particulars like that to take into consideration. That may be a nice point to carry up. I offer the ideas above as general inspiration however clearly there are questions just like the one you deliver up where crucial thing will be working in trustworthy good faith. I don?t know if greatest practices have emerged around things like that, but I am sure that your job is clearly recognized as a fair game. Each girls and boys really feel the impact of only a moment’s pleasure, for the remainder of their lives.

6. Macie Handsom

Didn’t believe when I first started, but after my 1st payout realized, that I won’t be doing any other job. Have a look yourself: http://bit.ly/2ODt2Tt – watch video, register for free, then go to your affiliate section and start making 30 commission on all products. Best for people looking to earn around $2500-$3000/month.

7. longchamp bags

I in addition to my friends have been reviewing the good procedures from the blog then at once I had a horrible feeling I had not expressed respect to the blog owner for those strategies. The men are actually for this reason glad to study them and now have absolutely been taking advantage of these things. I appreciate you for turning out to be simply thoughtful and also for pick out varieties of remarkable subjects most people are really eager to be aware of. My sincere regret for not saying thanks to earlier.