What’s Your Monthly Profit Target ?

By | September 5, 2014

That’s a quite popular question in the trading world. Together with its variants, ‘what’s your daily, weekly, yearly profit target ?’ it offers one way to gauge the trading experience of the person who asks. In most cases it will come from beginners and it’s the scope of this article to show why it is so and why having profit target is wrong.

With trading being a business, that might sound counter intuitive. After all, companies, big and small, have profit objectives. Why shouldn’t it be the same with trading ? Because of a fundamental difference that I have mentioned before. You have no control over the markets. You can’t dictate it to give you 10% monthly because that’s a nice round number and your excel spreadsheet shows it takes only 5 years at that rate to become a millionaire.

A clothing company for example might purchase more machinery, hire additional people and double their yearly profit (provided there’s enough demand for the merchandise, of course). It should be obvious that this business model isn’t possible in trading. Buying another computer screen and following more currency pairs won’t get you anywhere if the market isn’t in sync with your system. It might even have the opposite effect, as it might get you to over-trade.

Buy or develop another system then, is what some of you might think. Wrong answer ! No ! Buying black-box trading systems is a fools game anyway, but that’s a topic for another article. It takes time (years) to develop a system that fits your personality. Are you telling me that you’re going to change your personality every time you’re not meeting an arbitrary profit target ?  You might find this film interesting in that case.

So although it’s a nice thought that trading can be some sort of annuity, I hope you realize that’s impossible. Shouldn’t there be any kind of target then ? Let’s see, if you can’t control what the market is going to give you, what you can and should control is the percentage of trading capital you’re ok with losing every day, week, month or year. If you’re not ok with losing anything, then stop trading and put all your money in a bank deposit. Otherwise you should set a maximum loss target, which is totally under your control. For example, if you’re not willing to lose more than 10% of your capital in a month, you should just stop trading for that month if you reach -9,9%.

I want to make sure that I never have a double-digit loss in any month. – Paul Tudor Jones

Photo credit: http://www.launchengineering.com

12 thoughts on “What’s Your Monthly Profit Target ?

1. first date

I spent four years trying EVERYTHING in Online Dating, and through a huge amount of trial and error, I produced a system that I will share for you. This book will take you, step by step, through everything you need to know to double, triple or even quadruple the number of women you meet online.

2. Like

Like!! I blog frequently and I really thank you for your content. The article has truly peaked my interest.

3. Tobias Begnoche

There are those who engage in this type of trading without sufficient knowledge; however, there are day traders who make a successful living despite, or perhaps because of, the risks.

4. forex trading

If you hold your open positions after the New York Session, it is no longer called day trading because it’s now called swing trading.

5. gay personals

I travel all around the world for work, and it used to be really lonely. Now I can go onto Tinder and have a date lined up in a new city before I even get out of the airport!

6. Oneida Landy

Perhaps “some” scientists “theorize” that “all” races came from Africa. But, not all. That’s a fact. Secondly, Sheba has never been known to be the land area which constitutes modern-day Ethiopia. This is grounded on the fact that there is little to no evidence in Ethiopia to support that claim otherwise. All you have is myths and tales. Nothing more. Yemen has archeological evidences to being called Sheba (Hebrew: Sheva – Arabic: Saba’). Enough said.

7. Don Vranicar

Didn’t believe when I first started, but after my 1st payout realized, that I won’t be doing any other job. Have a look yourself: http://bit.ly/2ODt2Tt – watch video, register for free, then go to your affiliate section and start making 30 commission on all products. Best for people looking to earn around $2500-$3000/month.

8. red bottom heels

Thank you for your own labor on this site. My aunt enjoys making time for investigation and it’s really easy to see why. My spouse and i hear all of the compelling means you deliver invaluable thoughts on the blog and therefore boost contribution from website visitors on that theme while our favorite simple princess is actually discovering a whole lot. Take advantage of the remaining portion of the new year. You are doing a very good job.

9. golden goose outlet

I want to show my gratitude for your kind-heartedness giving support to individuals that actually need guidance on this one study. Your real commitment to passing the solution all through had been rather significant and has all the time allowed guys and women much like me to reach their targets. Your useful tips and hints implies much to me and still more to my colleagues. Thanks a lot; from each one of us.

10. jordan retro 12

I not to mention my buddies came going through the best pointers from the website then unexpectedly developed a horrible feeling I had not thanked the site owner for those techniques. The boys were definitely for this reason happy to learn them and have in effect in actuality been enjoying those things. Appreciation for genuinely simply helpful and also for considering certain essential tips most people are really eager to be aware of. Our own honest apologies for not expressing gratitude to you sooner.