Gain vs Absolute Gain On Myfxbook – Which One To Trust ?

By | December 28, 2014

Here’s another Myfxbook related post which was inspired by a chat I had on Twitter. It all started when I objected to advertising the ‘Gain’ of a trading system with no mentioning of the ‘Absolute gain’ – especially when in this particular case the difference was almost 5 times in favor of the ‘Gain’.

For those of you who don’t know, here is how Myfxbook calculates performance. Given the fact that Time Weighted Return (TWR) measurement is required by the Global Investment Performance Standards published by the CFA Institute, it would seem that there’s no point in further discussing this, right? Wrong.

The fact is that there are many systems with a ‘Gain’ of hundreds of percentage points but with a double-digit ‘Absolute gain’. Does this just happen in the normal course of trading your account or is there more to it? As a rule of thumb, the bigger the discrepancy between the two, the warier I am that the trader might not be acting in good faith.

Anybody can fool around with the account above ( he’s the one with the most subscribers in Autotrader) and see for himself how inaccurate the ‘Gain’ can be. For example, set the custom analysis dates: 12/06/2012 19:25 and 01/02/2013 02:06. You’ll notice that both ‘Gain’ and ‘Abs Gain’ are the same, 83.8%. Now set the end date for next day, 01/03/2013 01:53 and you’ll see the ‘Gain’ is now 134.16% and ‘Abs Gain’ 54.63%. All this because of one deposit and one profitable trade closed. Keep at it for some time and you end up with the kind of discrepancy that we see in the picture.

Let me finish this with a quote from Monroe Trout, which should also answer the question in the title:

There are plenty of traders I know who show track records with an amazing cumulative winning percentage. I’ve seen situations where they might be up 1,000 percent over
a five-year period, but if you examine their track record in terms of net dollars made or lost, you discover they are actually down.
Because they made the large percentage returns with small capital and then lost money when they were managing large sums?
Exactly. I’m not in the business of picking CTAs. But if I were, one of the first screens I would use would be a person’s total dollar profit—how many dollars did the CTA pull out of the market. If that number were negative, I would eliminate the CTA from consideration, regardless of the percentage return. – Monroe Trout, New Market Wizards by Jack Schwager.

16 thoughts on “Gain vs Absolute Gain On Myfxbook – Which One To Trust ?

1. cancelamento de voo direitos

I have been surfing online greater than three hours these days, but I never found any attention-grabbing article like yours. It’s pretty value sufficient for me. Personally, if all webmasters and bloggers made just right content material as you did, the web will likely be much more useful than ever before.

2. carpet cleaning Surprise AZ

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be actually something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complex and extremely broad for me. I’m looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it!

3. carpet cleaners Surprise AZ

Heya i am for the primary time here. I came across this board and I find It truly helpful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to give one thing again and aid others such as you aided me.

4. snow camp theatre

An attention-grabbing discussion is price comment. I feel that you need to write more on this matter, it won’t be a taboo topic however usually persons are not sufficient to speak on such topics. To the next. Cheers

5. pinjaman wang koperasi kerajaan

What i don’t realize is in truth how you’re now not actually a lot more neatly-preferred than you may be right now. You are so intelligent. You understand therefore considerably relating to this topic, made me personally believe it from a lot of numerous angles. Its like women and men are not fascinated unless it’s one thing to do with Girl gaga! Your individual stuffs great. At all times handle it up!

6. Tech In Expert

I would like to show my affection for your generosity supporting men and women who actually need assistance with this one topic. Your real dedication to passing the solution up and down appears to be rather helpful and has continuously allowed regular people much like me to arrive at their endeavors. The helpful hints and tips can mean much to me and far more to my office workers. Warm regards; from everyone of us.

7. The Almost Done

Hi there! Quick question that’s totally off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My site looks weird when browsing from my apple iphone. I’m trying to find a template or plugin that might be able to resolve this problem. If you have any suggestions, please share. Many thanks!

8. Toney Brunnemer

There are those who engage in this type of trading without sufficient knowledge; however, there are day traders who make a successful living despite, or perhaps because of, the risks.

9. 2019 jamb runz

With the whole thing which seems to be developing inside this specific subject material, many of your points of view are actually rather refreshing. However, I am sorry, but I do not subscribe to your whole strategy, all be it refreshing none the less. It would seem to everybody that your commentary are generally not totally rationalized and in fact you are your self not completely certain of the point. In any case I did take pleasure in reading it.

10. inventors help

Perfectly composed content material, thanks for entropy. “The bravest thing you can do when you are not brave is to profess courage and act accordingly.” by Corra Harris.